Press "Enter" to skip to content

Around the horn: A weekend recap of the Mules versus the Jumbos at Tufts University

On Saturday, Oct. 1, the Mules women’s soccer team, the field hockey team, and the men’s soccer team traveled to Medford to battle the Tufts Jumbos.

Women’s soccer got the first shot at the Jumbos but came up short, losing 3-1. Tufts women’s soccer is ranked No. 2 in the NESCAC, and they proved their ranking by dominating the first half of the game.

Two corner kicks for the Jumbos gave them an early lead, and they never looked back. Colby’s offense couldn’t get much going either, having only two shots in the first half.

The Jumbos carried their momentum over into the start of the second half, scoring in the first minutes out of the break.

Trailing 3–0, the Mules played more aggressively and improved significantly for the rest of play. 

Sophie Webb `23 put the Mules on the board in the fifty-second minute, firing a loose ball into the back of the net. This was Webb’s first goal of the season and the Mule’s only goal of the day.

Despite letting in the three goals, goalkeeper Emily McMaster `25 defended well and had eight saves.

The Mules offense also was impressive in the second half, outshooting Tufts 6-4 and having the half’s only corner kicks.

Next up was men’s soccer, who recorded their sixth straight tie versus Tufts.

The first half was a back-and-forth contest until Ethan Franco `24 was able to strip the ball from a Jumbo defender and get behind one-on-zero with the Tufts keeper. He tucked the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal giving the Mules a 1–0 lead. This is Franco’s team-leading fourth goal of the season, and he’s once again amongst the top scorers in NESCAC play.

Tufts had a chance to even the score late in the first half after earning a penalty from a hand ball, however, Brendan McCarthy `25 stepped up big for the Mules and saved a shot headed to the bottom corner.

The second half was another forty-five minutes of hard fought soccer with neither teams letting up.

Tufts outshot Colby 20-5 in play and eventually they found the equalizer in minute seventy-eight.The Mules and Jumbos have tied four of their last eight matchups.

The last team to play was field hockey, who stunned No. 3 ranked Tufts.

Off a penalty corner feed, the Jumbos jumped out to a 1–0 lead eleven minutes into the game.

The Mules were able to shut down Tufts following their goal, led by Emily Loeb `24 who had an outstanding nine saves.

With a little over nine minutes left in the second quarter, Colby tied the game at 1. The play started when Lillian Kistner `24 picked up the ball on the right wing and crossed it into the circle. The ball found Hig Sevigny `23 in front of the net, and she was able to turn and put it into the back of the cage. The goal was Sevigny’s first of the season. 

The rest of the first half was controlled by the Jumbos, but Loeb’s amazing play prevented any more scores.

The contest came down to the final minutes of play when the ball was knocked out of the circle by a Tufts defender and came to Charlotte Epker `24 who sent it back in. Pernilla Shaw `25 was able to get a stick to it and knock in the game-winner. The Mules would then hold on for the upset.

This is Colby’s first win against Tufts since the 2003 season, and their first NESCAC win of the season: an unreal ending to a  amazing day of competition versus Tufts.


~ Julian Cangieter-Hernandez `25


Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply