Press "Enter" to skip to content

Connecticut College defeats Colby Field Hockey 4-1

Last Saturday, Colby Field Hockey hosted the Connecticut College Camels on a gorgeous day at the Bill Alfond Field. The atmosphere was excellent as parents from all across the country came to Colby’s campus for Homecoming weekend. 

The first quarter began with the Mules having to play some rugged defense, as the Camels applied solid early pressure. After being pinned in their own half for the majority of the first quarter, the Mules were the first to concede as the Camels finally capitalized with 8:48 left in the quarter. The Mules began to get more of a foothold in the game but failed to score a goal of their own in the opening quarter. 

The Mules continued to apply pressure to open the second quarter. Hig Sevigny `23 was particularly bothersome for the Camels defensive line, constantly running and applying pressure, not giving the Camels defense an inch. Despite the continued pressure,  the Camels’ defense was able to hold up. The end of the second quarter consisted mostly attacks from the Camels, yet neither side could convert on their chances.

The Camels came out firing to open the second half. After a big save by Colby goalkeeper Emily Loeb `24, the Camels doubled their lead. The NESCAC opponents continued to duel it out, as Loeb made another kick-save to keep the Mules in the game. With 0.4 seconds left in the quarter, the Mules had an opportunity to square the game up through a corner, but once again, the grit of the Camels’ defense was enough to prevent Colby from scoring. 

The Mules regained hope after Casey Winslow ‘25 scored off a corner with 14:01 left in the game, reducing the deficit to just one goal. However, the Camels remained disciplined on both sides of the ball and eventually regained their two goal cushion after the ball trickled into the back of the net with 9:06 left in regulation. A few minutes later, the Camels crushed any chance of a comeback as they found the back of the net again, lending them a 4-1 lead with just over six minutes left. 

The loss to Connecticut College leaves the Mules with a 5–7 record overall, falling to just 1–7 in the conference. Despite the loss, the field hockey team showed a lot of promise and still have the opportunity to defeat their two in-state rivals, Bates and Bowdoin. The Mules will be back in action this Tuesday when they travel to Brunswick, Maine to take on the Bowdoin Polar Bears.


~ Mason Groves `23



Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply